Canon and Toshiba energy efficient photocopiers
Toshiba and the Environment
Toshiba Environmentally Friendly Copiers
Canon and the Environment
Canon Environment Sustainability Report and ISO14001 Cert.
Canon Environment Friendly credentials
Canon Environmentally Friendly Photocopiers and Fax Machines
Toshiba and Canon and the Environment
Club Copying is proud to be partnered with eco-aware manufacturers such as Canon and Toshiba, whose green credentials make the selection of their products in the workplace an informed environmentally-friendly choice. Some notes on their environmental policies and green activities are listed below.
All Toshiba MFPs are fully RoHS compliant ensuring that none of its products contain more than the agreed levels of lead, cadmium, mercury, hexavalent chromium, polybrominated biphenyl (PBB) and polybrominated diphenyl ether (PBDE) flame retardants. In addition to compliance with the RoHS Directive, halogen free materials are used for plastic cases and printed circuit boards. Since July 1st 2007 Toshiba is in full compliance with the EU Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Directive (WEEE Directive), which addresses the collection and appropriate re-processing of Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE).
Toshiba Recycles Waste
Toshiba is a world leader in building strong partnerships and, as a result, Toshiba has partnered with the SIMS Group to carry out the recycling of all “End Of Life” Toshiba MFPs in the UK in accordance with WEEE. The SIMS Group is the largest collector, processor and supplier of recycled metal, plastics and electronics in the world. All materials used in Toshiba MFP equipment can be remade into new products. Metals, such as aluminium can be used again and again. Recycling these products often uses less energy and makes better use of our material resources. It also leaves more “virgin” materials in the ground for future generations. It is not only hardware which Toshiba recycle. Waste toner from the eSTUDIO machines which don’t carry out 100% recycling can be fully recycled. Working with Barnet Recycling Ltd waste toner is collected and transported in bulk to the recycling plant where the toner is vacuumed out of the toner bags and bottles to be reused. Plastic toner bottles and paper and cardboard from packaging can also be recycled by Barnet Recycling Ltd.
Toshiba Reuses Materials
Steel from the machine frames is smelted down and used in the manufacture of new steel products. Aluminium once smelted is very pure and as a result can be reused in the manufacture of new products. Gold and precious metals recovered from circuit boards and terminals are used in the manufacture of jewellery whilst the copper from the wiring and circuit boards is melted down to 99% purity and reused for wiring. Toner particles are reused to help in the production of paint or as a colouring agent in aggregates whilst the plastic toner bottles are either used again or sent off to make plastic products such as garden furniture. Finally any cardboard used in packaging or for transporting the waste toner bottles is sent off to be reused and can end up as egg cartons or animal bedding. This process ensures that 100% of toner waste is recycled or reused.
Toshiba’s Environmental Commitment - Energy Star, RoHS and WEEE
Environmental considerations are built into every Toshiba product and process
Toshiba Environmental Objectives
- Effective Utilisation of resources
- Prevention of global warming
- Strengthening of control of chemical substances
- Development of environmentally conscious products
- Recycling of end of use products
Toshiba MFP products are environmentally responsible and create a greener working environment.
Features and Functionality address:
Environmental policies and procedures
- EU Compliance RoHS and WEEE Directives
- Disposal Procedures
Auto Power Down
- Selected Toshiba MFP copiers and printers automatically power themselves down if not in use – no unnecessary power draw
Energy Save Mode
- The MFP photocopier or printer can automatically go into an Energy Save mode designed to be idle and ready for use but at the same time drawing a much lower amount of power – reduce the power consumption
- Weekly timers can be assigned to these modes so that MFP copier and printer activity can be pre-determined – maximising energy efficiency
Toshiba Paper Waste Reduction - Toshiba MFPs offer functionality and features designed to reduce your paper consumption:
Standard Double Siding
- More than 70% of Toshiba products offer double siding as standard – halving paper consumption
- Toshiba e-BRIDGE devices offer printing of up to 16 pages on just one – proof before print
- Productive scanning from Toshiba allows hardcopy documents to be converted into electronic format – no need to print multiple copies
Planting trees to offset paper consumed
- Toshiba work with environmental organisations to plant new trees to offset paper consumed - giving back to the environment
Toshiba Recycling and Disposal - Toshiba is committed to using recycling in their processes from start to finish:
- Up to 56% of the plastics used in Toshiba MFPs is made from recycled material – green efficiency
- Intelligent packing of parts has allowed Toshiba to reduce its packing materials by 50% - halving packaging waste
100% Toner Recycling
- Selected Toshiba MFPs offer zero waste toner – no waste toner disposal
- Disposal service whereby waste toner is collected and disposed of in line with the Environmental Pollution Act – managed disposal
End of Life Recycling
- Toshiba partnered with The SIMS Group to carry out the recycling of all end of life Toshiba MFPs
- Materials re-used include steel, aluminium, gold and precious materials
- 99% of the MFP materials are recycled
- Re-use and Recycle
Toshiba Environmental Compliance is a key part of Toshiba’s commitment:
- Toshiba have a wide range of products that are Energy Star compliant, conforming to its strict energy saving guidelines.
- Toshiba have a fully RoHS compliant range of products which limit the amount of hazardous substances used in electrical and electronic equipment.
- Toshiba meet all the requirements of the EU Waste electrical and electronic equipment directive - WEEE, which addresses the collection and re-processing of waste electronic equipment.
- All facilities manufacturing Toshiba Multifunctional Products are ISO14001 compliant.
Toshiba Environmental Summary
Toshiba look for continual improvements in its products and processes as part of its environmental strategy:
- Toshiba adopt a strong environmental stance
- Compliant in the manufacturing processes
- Compliant in the sale and disposal of product
- Strong “green” product features
- The Environment forms one of the corporation’s 5 corporate commitments (Monozukuri) to its staff and the global community>
Toshiba CSR Report 2007 - Environmental
TOSHIBA TEC Corporation annually reports its commitments toward environmental protection. Since the first issue of “TOSHIBA TEC Environmental Report 2000,” TOSHIBA TEC Corporation has been annually reporting its commitments toward environmental protection, and toward society in addition to environmental protection since 2004. The latest report is 11MB; please contact Marketing at Club Copying for a copy.
The TOSHIBA TEC Group expands its business activities based on the philosophy of pursing mutual prosperity with all stakeholders including customers, employees, society and environment, while creating new values and contributing to society throughout its operations, toward a better natural environment.
The Energy Star is a voluntary labelling programme for products which achieve a defined level of energy efficiency. A wide range of Toshiba’s MFPs are compliant and allowed to bear the label:Selection of Toshiba Energy Star compliant copiers and fax:
Toshiba Energy Star compliant fax machine: eSTUDIO170F
Toshiba Energy Star compliant desktop copier/printer: eSTUDIO222CS eSTUDIO181
Toshiba Energy Star compliant low volume office copier/printer:eSTUDIO182 eSTUDIO211 eSTUDIO242 eSTUDIO205
Toshiba Energy Star compliant mid volume office copier/printer:eSTUDIO255 eSTUDIO305 eSTUDIO355 eSTUDIO455
Toshiba Energy Star compliant high volume office copier/printer:eSTUDIO555 eSTUDIO655 eSTUDIO755 eSTUDIO855
Toshiba Energy Star compliant colour capable office copier/printer: eSTUDIO281c eSTUDIO351c eSTUDIO451c
Toshiba Energy Star compliant full colour office copier/printer:
eSTUDIO2820c eSTUDIO3520c eSTUDIO4520c
Toshiba Toner Recycling Process Disposal of Waste and Used Toner relevant products:
eSTUDIO450 eSTUDIO160 eSTUDIO600 eSTUDIO520 eSTUDIO720/720-4D eSTUDIO850 eSTUDIO352 eSTUDIO281c eSTUDIO2500c eSTUDIO451c eSTUDIO452 eSTUDIO163 eSTUDIO203 eSTUDIO232 eSTUDIO282 eSTUDIO3500c eSTUDIO120 eSTUDIO151D eSTUDIO170F eSTUDIO351c eSTUDIO205 eSTUDIO165 eSTUDIO16S eSTUDIO25S eSTUDIO150 eSTUDIO45 eSTUDIO550 eSTUDIO210c eSTUDIO310c eSTUDIO200 eSTUDIO211c eSTUDIO20S eSTUDIO230 eSTUDIO28 eSTUDIO250 eSTUDIO650 eSTUDIO810 eSTUDIO35 eSTUDIO350 eSTUDIO280 eSTUDIO161 eSTUDIO4511 eSTUDIO311c eSTUDIO3511 eSTUDIO230L eSTUDIO3100c eSTUDIO2100c eSTUDIO3510c eSTUDIO167 eSTUDIO207 eSTUDIO237 eSTUDIO166 eSTUDIO206 eSTUDIO180S eSTUDIO200S eSTUDIO233 eSTUDIO283 eSTUDIO353 eSTUDIO453 eSTUDIO523 eSTUDIO603 eSTUDIO723/723/4D eSTUDIO853
eSTUDIO450 eSTUDIO160 eSTUDIO600 eSTUDIO520 eSTUDIO720/720-4D eSTUDIO850 eSTUDIO352 eSTUDIO281c eSTUDIO2500c eSTUDIO451c eSTUDIO452 eSTUDIO163 eSTUDIO203 eSTUDIO232 eSTUDIO282 eSTUDIO3500c eSTUDIO120 eSTUDIO151D eSTUDIO170F eSTUDIO351c eSTUDIO205 eSTUDIO165 eSTUDIO16S eSTUDIO25S eSTUDIO150 eSTUDIO45 eSTUDIO550 eSTUDIO210c eSTUDIO310c eSTUDIO200 eSTUDIO211c eSTUDIO20S eSTUDIO230 eSTUDIO28 eSTUDIO250 eSTUDIO650 eSTUDIO810 eSTUDIO35 eSTUDIO350 eSTUDIO280 eSTUDIO161 eSTUDIO4511 eSTUDIO311c eSTUDIO3511 eSTUDIO230L eSTUDIO3100c eSTUDIO2100c eSTUDIO3510c eSTUDIO167 eSTUDIO207 eSTUDIO237 eSTUDIO166 eSTUDIO206 eSTUDIO180S eSTUDIO200S eSTUDIO233 eSTUDIO283 eSTUDIO353
The Canon Sustainability Report is an annual publication covering the economic and social impact of Canon activities on an environmentally conscious level. All published reports from 1999 are available for download:
Canon Sustainability Report & ISO14001 Certifications
Canon has partnered voluntarily with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency for over ten years to design products that meet the high standards of its Energy Star Program. This program promotes the development and introduction of energy-efficient products to reduce global warming and other environmental issues.
As an Energy Star partner, and one of the leading producers of energy-efficient equipment, Canon has qualified more than 400 of its products since the program began including copiers, printers, scanners, and multifunction devices that help protect the environment, without compromising features or performance.
At the forefront of the office equipment and consumer imaging industries, Canon has developed original and advanced energy efficient technologies, and it has introduced more than 400 products that incorporate these technologies. Canon was several times awarded as Energy Star Partner of the year. Products that meet energy efficiency standards bear the Energy Star logo.
As higher energy cost and global warming become more of a concern for consumers, Canon is committed to offering solutions that help its customers save money, conserve energy and improve the quality of our environment.
The majority (over 90 percent) of Canon products comply with Energy Star requirements.
Canon and Resource Conservation
Canon is striving to make its new products smaller and lighter. Canon achieved a 15% reduction in product weight in 2005 compared to 2000 for its main business machines, with a few product exceptions that included expanded functionality.
Canon and Environmentally Conscious Design
Starting from the development and design stages, Canon has striven to achieve goals of making products 75% recyclable by mass (for reuse and material recycling) and 85% recoverable by mass (including thermal recycling). To make workplaces cleaner, Canon has for example developed a proprietary roller-charging technology that delivers OZONE-FREE operation, and the standby energy consumption of Canon's newer devices is just 3 watts, this compared to some older models at 690 watts.
World First in Toner Cartridge Creation and Toner Cartridge Recycling
In 1982, Canon became the first company to create the all-in-one toner cartridge for personal copiers, followed closely by all-in-one toner cartridges for laser printers. All-in-one toner cartridges ensure that the printer is effectively as good as new whenever the toner cartridge is changed, because all the essential components are replaced at the same time. Not only did Canon pioneer toner cartridge technology - it was also one of the first companies to understand its environmental responsibilities as a corporate manufacturer. In 1990, in another world first, Canon started its toner cartridge recycling program.
- Canon Group achieved stage two of the ISO 14001 Certification in 2006, recognising the company’s commitment towards environmental management and its strategy now and for the future
- Canon’s aim is to at least double overall lifecycle environmental efficiency by 2010, using 2000 as the baseline date (Factor 2)
- Canon focuses on phasing out hazardous chemicals from products wherever possible
- 95% of Canon products qualified for the International ENERGY STAR program in 2006
- In 2006, Canon achieved a 100% recycling rate (by mass) for collected toner cartridges
- In 2006, Canon achieved 1.36 on its overriding indicator for environmental performance, Factor 2
- Canon was the first company to become a Conservation Partner of WWF in 1998, the global conservation organisation.
- Canon has become a member of WWF UK Forest & Trade Network to establish processes to source papers from reliable, known wood sources
Canon key Environmental and Social Responsibility activities:
Canon, incorporating its corporate philosophy of kyosei, is immensely proactive when it comes to environmental initiatives. Some examples of its contribution towards a sustainable Earth include The Canon Clean Earth Crew and The WWF Polar Bear Project (Canon is a WWF Conservation Partner) and ongoing efforts in the following areas:
- Humanitarian aid and disaster relief
- Conservation of the environment
- Social welfare; local communities
- Education and science
- Art, culture and sports
- Canon Europe is a leading supporter of environmental conservation efforts and champion of disaster relief and community outreach.
Selection of Environmentally Friendly Canon Energy Star Compliant Photocopiers, Printers and Fax Machines:
Canon Energy Star Compliant Black and White / Mono Copiers: iR2520 | iR2525i | iR2530i | iR2535i | iR2545i | imageRunner ADVANCE 6055i | imageRUNNER ADVANCE 6065i | imageRunner Advance 6075i
Canon Energy Star Compliant Colour Copiers: iR Advance C2020L | iR Advance C2030L
Canon recently won the prestigious BERTL 'Readers' Choice Awards' for 'Colour Monochrome Reliability' and 'Best Colour Image Quality'.
Canon Energy Star Compliant Desktop Multifunctional Copiers/Printers: iR1020 iR1024A iR1024F iR1024i iR1024iF iRC1028iF MF9280Cdn MF9220Cdn MF9170 MF9130 MF8450
Canon Energy Star Compliant Fax Machines: Canon FAX-L380S Canon FAX-L390 FAX-JX200 FAX-JX500 Canon FAX-L100 FAX-L120 Canon FAX-L140